NBC's Biggest Loser® Ginger and Lemongrass Sliders in Lettuce Cups
Source: Biggest Loser Cookbook and SpaIndex
1 - 20 oz package of Extra Lean Ground Turkey
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
1 Teaspoon fresh lemongrass, grated super fine
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped rough
2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, divided
6 drops toasted sesame oil, divided
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
½ Cup orange juice
1 cup red cabbage, cut into ribbons
1 large carrot, finely grated
8 whole leaves iceberg lettuce, washed
Whole cilantro leaves for garnish
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
1. Preheat a grill or grill pan on medium high heat.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, chopped cilantro, 1 Tablespoon soy sauce and 3 drops sesame oil. Mix well until fully incorporated and season with fresh cracked black pepper.
3. Form the turkey mixture into tight balls of approximately 2 ½ ounces each – there should be 8 balls. Flatten them into patties about ½ inch thick.
4. Brush the grill lightly with oil and place the turkey patties onto the grates. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165F in the center of the burgers.
5. While the burgers are cooking, mix the cabbage and carrots in a separate, medium sized mixing bowl. Mix in the remaining soy sauce and sesame oil along with the orange juice. Mix well and season to taste with black pepper.
6. Remove the burgers from the grill and let rest for 2-3 minutes. To serve, place a burger into each lettuce leaf or cup and mound a small amount of the cabbage and carrot salad on top. Garnish with cilantro and toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per serving for 2 Burgers:
Calories: 190 Total Fat: 2.5g Sat Fat: .5g Chol: 55mg Sodium: 390 mg Total Carb: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugars: 3g Protein: 34g
Excerpted from various sources including The Biggest Loser Cookbook and Cheryl Forberg, RD, the author of The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle. (Rodale 2009) Photograph: Jennie-O Turkey Store.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.